Need an Attitude Adjustment?
During the 1970’s, I heard the phrase “attitude adjustment” a lot. Probably because my parents thought I needed one.
Attitude: a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something, typically one that is reflected in a person’s behavior.
Adjustment: a small alteration or movement made to achieve a desired fit, appearance, or result
You see, my thinking needed adjusting. I remember mom telling me to stop whining and start doing. Begin something new to occupy my interest and ignite my brain.
I recently had my grandsons spend two days with me. Most of the time they were great, but I remember Rye (5) starting to pester his brother, Roman (3). When I asked him why, he said, “I’m bored Gigi!” I realized he needed an attitude adjustment and a new focus.
Not only did I get out the colors and paints, but I added paper plates and stickers to mix things up for him. Then his imagination starting adding other things. He got so excited about what he was doing. Soon two hours had passed. Pretty good for a five year old!
As leaders, we too need attitude adjustments – no, not me!
You know the signs. You are tired. All the time. You find yourself disappointed in those around you. You don’t know why they “don’t get it!” You are grumpy. You feel everyone is working against you. You are working hard and things aren’t changing.
Some things I’ve learned that help me with an “attitude adjustment.”
- Pray – ask God to help you see and think with His heart
- Eliminate assumptions – assumptions can damper our effectiveness and either get us down or limit opportunities
- Ask questions – especially to yourself, questions can open up new learning and options
- Retreat – Get away and alone with God. If you can’t go to a retreat center, then do what I do. When the weather is good I go spend the day at Botanic Gardens with my Bible and journal. Boy does this change my perspectives.
- Learn something new – new ideas can bring new life
- Try new things – new approaches can get you out of your rut and create new momentum
- What are your signs that you need an attitude adjustment?
- What is stopping you from addressing this need?
- How can I help you? (email me if I can help email@example.com – our Kingdom work is too important)
Connect Socially With Us